Strengthen Your Girlfriendships® In South Dakota
You know South Dakota is known for its expansive rolling prairies, Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, Sturgis, and has a city designated as the geographic center of all 50 states, right? But I bet you didn’t know that it’s also the #2 producer of sunflowers in the U.S.! (I knew only because I absolutely adore sunflowers.)
My Girlfriendships® also thinks it’s ideal for a getaway with the girls. This week we feature Rapid City and Hot Springs.
Rapid City is east of the Black Hills and is the gateway to beautiful Mount Rushmore—both are an absolute must see. But here are some other ideas to include on your girls weekend.
What to Do
- Main Street Square | Main Street Square is a famous landmark in the heart of downtown Rapid City, and is a comfortable gathering place for all of you. The square features a dancing water fountain, a waterfall, and public art sculptures. You and your girlfriends should pack some snacks and wine, grab a blanket and go to Main Street Square to have a picnic. Then, finish off the day with shopping downtown and a nice dinner.
- Black Hills Cavern Crystal Tour | The Black Hills Caverns are approximately 3,400 feet long with dozens of different rock formations. At the Caverns you can join an easy, 30 minute tour that takes you about 1,500 feet (just a smidge over four football fields) into the first floor of the cave, where you’ve dazzled by millions of beautiful, calcite crystals! On the tour, your guide will educate you all on the cave’s formation process too.
Where to Stay
- The Rushmore Hotel & Suites | The Rushmore Hotel is a Best Western Premier Collection hotel located in the historic downtown district, close to everything the city has to offer. The hotel is beautifully designed, comfortable, and convenient. There are two restaurants onsite that serve New American cuisine, Enigma and The Prive. The other fun choice is the 445 Lounge should you be in the mood for live music. The Rushmore Hotel is a classic stay that you and your besties will enjoy.
- Hayward B&B | This gorgeous Airbnb is a fully renovated craftsman. It’s conveniently located in the heart of downtown Rapid City, close to all of the shops, restaurants, and breweries. The home has a large, fenced-in backyard, a fully-stocked kitchen for cooking, and a comfortable front porch for relaxing. Grab six of your girlfriends and book it now!
Just about an hour south of Rapid City is one of the most exciting places in South Dakota, Hot Springs.
What to Do
- Evans Plunge Mineral Springs | Natural waters that maintain an average temperature of 87°F? Yes please! Take the plunge into refreshing, relaxing, fun. You and your gals will want to plan for at least half of a day here and immerse yourselves in the healing waters.
- Sage Meadow Ranch | How does a horseback trail ride sound to you? Good? Then this is the place. Sage Meadow Ranch is located in the Southern foothills near Hot Springs, with acres of prairie, pines, and rolling hills surrounding it. The Canyon Ride or the Ranch Ride are perfect for a girl’s weekend activity—approximately 1-1.5 hours of fairly easy terrain. Your group will love the scenic views at Sage Meadow Ranch.
Where to Stay
- Red Rock River Resort | The historic resort was designed and built by talented artisans, and is a charming blend of old and new thanks to the spacious rooms and modern amenities. You won’t have to go far to escape the hustle and bustle—there's a full service spa, Spa Minnekahta, where you and your girls can get a massage, soak in the hot tub, or even get a facial. You will love Red Rock River Resort!
- Walking Bull Ranch Airbnb | This Airbnb is delicately placed on 40 forested acres. It is located close to all of the Black Hills amenities. The two-cabin setting can accommodate a group of 10, 6, or just 4. The Bunkhouse can sleep six. It has two bathrooms, a modern kitchen and a phenomenal back porch. The Log Cabin is the other, and sleeps four. The cabins are surrounded by all different kinds of nature and filled with “cabin things” like books and games. Like I said, 10? 6? 4? You and your besties can rent together or separately, depending on how many are on your getaway.