Make it to Michigan for Oktoberfest!
Oktoberfest is the world's largest Volksfest (beer festival and travelling funfair). Held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, it’s a 16-to-18-day folk festival running from mid-or-late September to the first Sunday in October. It’s an important part of Bavarian culture, having been held since the year 1810. More than six million people from around the world attend this event every year. Have you ever been there?
Of course, cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations modeled after the original Munich event. Michigan really does it well! However, much like the 1800’s when Oktoberfest originated, Germany had a series of illnesses that cancelled the celebration. Michigan is facing the same loss this year with COVID-19. But don’t be discouraged. Why not grab your beer-swillin’ girlfriends and plan an Oktoberfest girls weekend for 2021?!
What to Do
- Frankenmuth Oktoberfest | This is the only Oktoberfest outside of Munich to be sanctioned by Bavaria. The annual event has live music from German bands, polka dancing, and wiener dog races!
- Saline Harvest of the Arts | Celebrate Saline’s relationship with its sister city, Lindenberg, Germany. Like the festival in Munich, you and your girlfriends can indulge in lots of great food and beer, and dance to traditional music.
- Old Town Blocktober party Lansing | Michigan’s best block party in Old Town! Food. Drink. Games. Music. Their Oktoberfest will have you up and dancing, and joining friends from all over the state for axe throwing, giant jenga, and brews.
Where to Stay
- The Bavarian Inn Lodge is a treasure in the heart of downtown Frankenmuth, Michigan’s #1 tourist attraction. Nestled on the banks of the beautiful Cass River, the Lodge is a world-class getaway destination. Unique in theme, no other hotel in Frankenmuth can compare!
- Adorable home close to Saline This spacious two-bedroom duplex unit is nestled on Ypsilanti’s east side just a few blocks from Depot Town, a quick ride to EMU, and a 20-min ride to Ann Arbor! Parking on premises. It’s perfect for you and your besties!
Photo credits: https://unsplash.com