New Hampshire: Happy Times are Calling
Who’s up for a girls trip to the state that
- Commemorates the first reported alien abduction?
- Is halfway between the equator and the North Pole?
- Had the first women’s strike?
If so, start planning your girls weekend to New Hampshire! Add that it’s known for its expansive wilderness, mountains to the west and over 18 miles of seashore to the east, and you have the makings for a memorable destination.
This week we’re taking you to the capital city of Concord and the seaside town of Portsmouth.
What to Do in Concord
- Red River Theatres, Concord | Red River Theatres is a state-of-the-art cinema with three screens. But they don’t show mainstream movies—only locally made pictures and art house productions. But don’t worry, they still serve the usual soda-popcorn-candy fare! Red River has become an important piece of Concord’s cultural scene too. The locals of Concord love Red River theatres and so will you!
- Carter Hill Orchard, Concord | Carter Hill Orchard is known as New Hampshire’s neighborhood apple orchard. They open in the summer for blueberry and peach picking, and remain open until the fall for apple season! It’s a family-owned farm with walking trails, an observation tower, and a bakery. Gorgeous.
Where to Stay in Concord
- The Centennial Hotel, Concord | The Centennial Hotel is the most unique and historic hotel in Concord. It’s contemporary, charming, and sleek. The hotel boasts beautiful architecture and boutique furniture, and is conveniently located only minutes from downtown Concord. The onsite restaurant, Granite Restaurant & Bar, was a “Wine Spectator’s 2019 Award of Excellence” recipient. Sounds like a place you and your girls must add to your itinerary!
- House on Northwood Lake, Northwood | This VRBO is the perfect spot for large gatherings with girlfriends. It’s a three level house with eight bedrooms—perfect for entertainment! Another good part? You can walk to the beach in only three minutes. At the lake you and your girlfriends can rent a boat, lie on the beach, fish, or sip on a Loopie’s Lemonade! This VRBO is a short, 30-minute drive from downtown Concord.
On the eastern side of NH, only an hour north of Boston is the captivating sea-side city of Portsmouth. Check it out.
What to Do in Portsmouth
- Market Square, Portsmouth | Market Square is in the heart of downtown Portsmouth. It’s a wonderful spot to take a walking tour of the city since this is where many of them start. The Market Square features art galleries, bookstores, antique shops, restaurants and beautiful, original 17th-century buildings. Plan to spend a few hours here as you will want to take your time soaking it all in! It’s a wonderful place to visit.
- The Music Hall, Portsmouth | The Music Hall is a historic stage with a 21st century outlook. They present the very best of the performing arts world. The Music Hall has two spaces in downtown Portsmouth. One space is a 895-seat Victorian theatre and the other is a 120-seat modern theatre. The Music Hall is a vital art center for enrichment of the Seacoast community too! It is a unique space and a very fun experience.
Where to Stay in Portsmouth
- The Hotel Portsmouth, Portsmouth | The Hotel Portsmouth is the city’s favorite downtown hotel. It’s gracious and welcoming with the irresistible charm of a bed and breakfast. At 138 years old, you can get modern hospitality in a historic setting. Because it’s just minutes from the Market Square, it’s in the perfect location for exploring Portsmouth. You will love your stay here!
- Unbeatable condo, Portsmouth | This Airbnb is a hidden gem located in the heart of Market Square. It’s steps away from everything Portsmouth has to offer! The condo is spacious and comfortable. It also features a newly updated kitchen and appliances. You can cook up a homemade meal with your girlfriends or drink a glass of wine with the best view in town. Your girlfriends will appreciate this home away from home.
If you visit Concord or Portsmouth, be sure to leave us a review and let us know which activities you tried! If you tried something new, please be sure to share it with us too! You and your girlfriends will love the quaint towns and beautiful expanses of wilderness here in New Hampshire.