Come to New Mexico ‘cause the Southwest is the Best
Two cool things about New Mexico?
- It’s home to more than 300 hot air balloons, making it the hot air balloon capital of America
- It has extreme temperatures. The lowest ever recorded was -50° F, and the highest was 122°! Don't worry. It wasn’t all in one day :) .
Aside from hot air balloons and crazy temperatures, New Mexico boasts fantastic nature experiences, distinctive cuisine, and impressive fine arts. Sounds perfect for a getaway with your girlfriends, doesn’t it. This week My Girlfriendships® suggests two cool destinations, Santa Fe and Albuquerque.
Of course, being the hot air balloon capital of America means you deserve your own festival. Reason enough to have your girl’s weekend in New Mexico, right? Here are some other activities to explore.
What to Do
- Meow Wolf | It’s a group of more than 200 collaborators who create crazy, interactive art experiences through video and music production. (Click the link. You have to check it out.) Aside from the fun in the Meow Wolf’s exhibits, you and your girlfriends can also enjoy food and drinks at the cafe + bar, Float! There’s so much here. You will always remember this unique outing!
- Broken Saddle Riding Company | You want the best horseback riding in Santa Fe? Here it is. No matter what your group’s skill level, you can handle this beautiful route through hills and high desert ranch with breathtaking views of all the area’s mountain ranges. This is a truly amazing experience that you and your gals will really enjoy!
Where to Stay
- The Sage Hotel | The Sage Hotel is the cutest bohemian retreat ever! The location is ideal—it’s just steps away from Santa Fe’s top art galleries, restaurants, and boutiques. The hotel itself is designed very thoughtfully, with bright and airy suites. There is also a fantastic restaurant onsite called Social Kitchen + Bar that serves delicious Southwestern-inspired dishes and drinks. You are going to love this stay!
- Airbnb Santa Fe Home | I love this place. The house is built on nearly an acre of beautiful land, nestled in a gorgeous spot in the hills above Santa Fe. Mountain views, and only minutes from downtown. The inside has a classic, elegant feel with a bit of a southwestern, quirky feel. It’s spacious (5 bedrooms, 5 beds, 3 baths) so you and your besties have a comfortable place to connect!
Just about an hour’s drive south is the beautiful city of Albuquerque, another great (and very affordable) option for your girl’s getaway. Here are some recommendations once you’re there.
What to Do
- Sandia Peak Aerial Tram | Incredible. Pile into the tram and take the 2.7 mile ascent to the 10,378-foot peak of the Sandia Mountains. Once there, you have a panoramic view of Albuquerque. It's especially spectacular at night, with all the sparkling lights below. No matter what time of day you do go, it is a thrilling ride with amazing views!
- Rail Yards Market | Farmers market on steroids! They are only open on Sundays so you need to plan around that, but once you’re there, you’ll meet 100’s of New Mexico’s finest food vendors, hear live musicians, and experience the heart of New Mexican culture. There is so much fresh, local food to choose from. Not only can you eat food onsite, but if you and your girlfriends want to cook, this is the best spot to grab ingredients. You will really love this place.
Where to Stay
- Hotel Andaluz | This Hilton property was recently restored, with decor inspired by Spain in a design that evokes “passion and pride”. It’s also an AAA Four-Diamond hotel which means they offer outstanding customer service and amenities. You’ll feel like a million bucks at the Hotel Andaluz!
- Airbnb Mountain Home | This house backs right into the Sandia Mountains, which means plenty of gorgeous views. Add in a basketball court (!), hot tub, and hiking trails in a very quiet and convenient neighborhood, and you and your group will feel right at home in Albuquerque!