Chicas in Chico and Santa Barbara
If you’ve been with us for long, you know My Girlfriendships® loves everything about sun, sand, and surf—which just happens to be some of what you’d have goin’ on with a girl’s trip to California. So much to see and do, it was a challenge to choose only two spots. But choose we did. Check out Chico and Santa Barbara.
Chico. It’s not only the site where our CEO earned her college degree, it’s ideal for spending a few days with your besties. Here are a few reasons why:
- You’re almost guaranteed to have ideal weather. Between 55° and 65° in the “winter”, and between 85° and 95° in the summer.
- You can see the world’s largest yo-yo.
- It's perfect for hiking, biking, and golfing.
Check out these other reasons!
What to Do
Bidwell Park | Named for Annie Bidwell (a girlfriend from another era), it’s an impressive 3,670 acres, and is one of the largest city parks in the United States. Whether golfing, hiking, or (our favorite) swimming, there is plenty for the crew to do in this beautiful park. Rent bicycles to follow the Annie Bidwell Trail, or take a tour of the 19th century Italian Villa-style home in the Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park. Bring your bathing suit and relax in the six swimming holes the park offers.
- Pub Crawl | What do you expect in a college town? Downtown Chico is one of Northern California's best towns for fun bars and nightlife, and all within walking distance. AllEvents.in has every happening in Chico. Search “Pub Crawls” and take your pick.
Where to Stay
- The Grateful Bed | (See what they did there?) This 1905 Victorian home was restored in 1998 then opened as a bed and breakfast. Breakfast includes gourmet entrees, fruits of the season, and herbs from the garden along with coffee, freshly brewed teas, and sparkling juices. It’s walking distance to Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park, as well as downtown Chico shops and restaurants—ideal for a My Girlfriendships stay. We bet we’d find your girl group relaxing in the parlor, strolling through Victorian gardens, or relishing a serene moment in a rocking chair on the back porch, wouldn't we?
- Fox at the Park | If airbnbs are your preference, check it out. This 2 bedroom/3 bed bungalow is the perfect spot for you and 5 of your girlfriends. It’s ideally located near Bidwell State Park (walking distance!) downtown shops (walking distance!), and great restaurants (walking distance!). Comfortable surroundings at a comfortable price make for a relaxed time with your besties.
When our research found that Santa Barbara is considered one of the “least stressed” cities in the U.S., we knew we wanted to suggest it to you. Then we learned that it’s chock-full of options for hiking, surfing, kayaking, and cycling, and that solidified it. The only issue you and your group may have is trying to fit all the fun things in a short getaway. Worth a try though, right?!
What to Do
- Stearns Wharf | Built in 1872, Stearns Wharf is located in the harbor of Santa Barbara and is noted as its #1 attraction. We see why! It has the trifecta of girlfriends’ fun: things to do, places to eat, and sites to shop, all surrounded by gorgeous views. Add it to your agenda.
- Whale Watching Cruise | No matter what time of the year you have your girls weekend, you can always go whale watching here. It’s one of the few that offers excursions year ‘round...and a whale watch guarantee! We think whale watching is one of the most fun things to do in Santa Barbara. Definitely go.
Where to Stay
Staying in Santa Barbara? There are spectacular places for any group’s budget...and we think it’d be worth it to splurge with your girls. Here are three worthy suggestions:
- Rosewood Miramar Beach Hotel | Miramar (meaning "to behold the sea,") couldn’t be more accurate. You and your group deserve to make your next memories along the backdrop of this stunning structure set on Miramar Beach, Southern California’s most beautiful and exclusive coastlines. Quite possibly the best of the best, our words here can’t compete with the perfection they use to describe it. Really. You need to click that link to see for yourself.
- Hotel Californian | Not exactly the title song from one of our favorite albums, but still a stunning place for a long weekend because of its location, location, location. The link to their website will show you why we’ve suggested it as a contender for your girl’s trip destination.
- The Blue Beach House - on the Sand at Miramar Beach | If a vrbo is more your vibe, then this house is ideal. The house is right on the beach yet close to everything Santa Barbara has to offer. No need for a white noise machine here. Fall asleep to the sound of the surf, then in the morning, grab your coffee and take a morning walk along the beach. It sleeps seven comfortably, has a living room with a wood-burning fireplace, and a dining area for eating the meals the crew’s foodie prepares.
Call your girlfriends and go!