My Old Kentucky Home, The Bluegrass State
Did you get to read about all the great things that embody Kentucky, and why we at My Girlfriendships® recommend it for your next getaway? Well, one thing we didn’t get to explain is why it’s nicknamed the "Bluegrass State". Here we go....
See, Kentucky bluegrass is a particular species found in many of its pastures, and is a preferred feed for the thoroughbred horse industry (and we know KY knows a bit about the horse industry!) Here’s a fun fact: Bluegrass is green. It gets its name because in the spring, its blue-purple buds give it a bluish tint when you look at it from a distance.
Thoroughbred horses and the bluegrass that fuels them are on display every first Saturday in May at the Kentucky Derby. Who is down for a day at the races? My Girlfriendships crew! We’ll be dressing to the nines, fascinators and all.
Visiting Louisville, Kentucky on the first Saturday in May means horses, fascinators, and Mint Juleps. And our Mint Julep starts with bourbon from one of our podcast sponsors: Michter’s Distillery!
Ingredients for 1 | Multiply by degree of thirst, divide by number of girlfriends!
- 3 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon of water
- 2 ounces Michter’s bourbon
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- crushed ice
Put the granulated sugar, water, and some of the leaves from the mint sprigs into a glass.
Muddle everything together in the bottom of the glass.
Add the Michter’s bourbon.
Fill a separate glass with crushed ice.
Using a strainer, pour the bourbon mixture over the ice.
Garnish with the remaining mint leaves, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
Serve and enjoy!
Looking for a place to gather with girlfriends for dinner on a night out? Here are a couple of great options when planning your next girlfriend gathering:
- Jack Fry's | If you’re in Louisville, you have to go to Jack Fry’s. Jack was a much-loved character who often gave a free meal to a needy friend. He was also known as a rambling, gambling kind of guy who loved amateur boxing and race horses, and conducted his bookmaking and bootlegging affairs discreetly from "the back room". As a result, Jack Fry's became a sportsman’s hangout.
When you and your girls are there, you’ll be in awe of the hundreds of historic photographs that fill the walls of the current restaurant.
Dinner surrounded by such colorful history calls for the beef filet: Grilled tenderloin, asparagus, and crisp fingerling potatoes topped with sage beurre blanc, Parmigiano-Reggiano, crispy prosciutto, and aged balsamic.
- The Rickhouse | Located in historic Bardstown, The Rickhouse is a dining experience you won’t soon forget. The restaurant prides itself on providing people with a dining experience bursting with beautiful colors, delicious smells, and full flavors. You’ll find outstanding service, incredible drinks, and extraordinary food.
Just like a barrel in The Rickhouse, My Girlfriendships crew and I will be hanging around for a while enjoying the delicious BBQ Bourbon Chicken Half. It’s a slow roasted chicken covered with their house BBQ bourbon sauce, and served with choice of two sides.