Ending the Old Year, Starting the New One in Nevada
I’ve always been partial to celebrating anything and everything with fireworks, and America’s Party in Las Vegas celebrates New Year’s with a huge bang by setting off fireworks atop seven of the hotels on the Strip.
Not only are there various ways to celebrate the closing of one year and beginning a new one, but there are just as many traditional foods as well. More often than not, our New Year’s Day menu tradition includes fresh ham. This recipe is a nice twist for starting the new year right with a girlfriend gathering. Prepare, put it in the oven, and gather with the girls around the living room making big plans for the New Year. Hey! Who else would I want to begin the new year with then my girl crew?!
Ingredients for 18 | Multiply by degree of hunger, divide by number of girlfriends!
20 minutes per pound
5 hours 30 minutes
- A fresh ham (14-18 pounds, skin on, boneless, and tied)
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup brown mustard
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup natural soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
Preheat oven to 325º.
Using a small serrated knife, cut an X in between each piece of string about a 1/4 inch deep. Mix the dry rub ingredients together and rub all over the ham.
Place uncovered in the oven and bake for 20 minutes per pound. Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature reaches 160º.
Meanwhile, whisk the liquid seasoning ingredients together.
During the last hour of cooking, baste the ham with the liquid seasoning.
When done, let the ham rest for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Sinatra | There was nothing more iconic in Las Vegas during the heydays of the 60’s than the Rat Pack, and the most iconic of them all was ol’ Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra. Of course the place to eat when in Las Vegas would be the restaurant named for him, and the dinner I’m ordering is also the one named for him: Frank’s Spaghetti and Clams.
And while waiting for dinner, indulge in the Jack Daniels Sinatra Select 45 Limited release, 90 proof special barreling of Jack Daniels Whiskey. The smooth, bold flavors embody the character of the man himself. Try it his way, over ice.
- The Fox Brewpub | Starting the new year with the girls in Carson City (the town named for frontier man, Kit Carson)? The Fox Brewpub is an English-style restaurant, brewpub and gathering place that was established in 2007 in the heart of the recently revitalized downtown corridor of Carson City. The Fox is located within the Historic St. Charles Hotel which was built in 1862. A local restaurant… operated by locals!
Nothing is more warming and homey than beef braised ribs: Short ribs braised in Honey Ale, one of their 17 beers on draught, and served with stewed vegetables, loaded mashed potatoes, and Fox steak sauce. Starting the New Year right!